In today’s data-driven business landscape, a more unified communication strategy is the ultimate goal of modern businesses. Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) trunking integrates voice, video, and data into a single platform to simplify connections and enhance the business communication experience.
In the pre-SIP era, additional trunks were added to wired telephony systems when demand dictated. A dedicated line or a set of circuits purchased from the service provider proved costly. The introduction of trunking to IP-based systems has significantly reduced telephony costs, resulting in a positive direct impact on ROI.
Here are some of the financial benefits that businesses can realize from SIP trunking.
- Maximize Internet resources. SIP telephony is more affordable than traditional systems because it combines voice and data over a singular broadband grid. Thus, it eliminates the need to purchase several Internet connections and additional gateways.
- All calls are local calls. Long distance and international calls are converted into local calls. Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) calls travel over the Internet or the IP network of the provider to a destination where the calls are converted into local calls.
- Easily and cost-efficiently manage maintenance. Traditional telephony requires expensive circuit and termination point maintenance. Lengthy coordination with technicians each time new phone lines are installed wastes time and adds to manpower costs. SIP trunks are of a virtual nature and have a centralized deployment of applications from a single server across the enterprise. This provides a centralized interface for daily operations, including maintenance functions.
Enhanced Business Communication Experience
The full potential of SIP-based communications can be achieved if extended beyond the local area network (LAN). SIP trunking brings Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) to the next level, beyond the enterprise firewall and the LAN. This breaks geographic barriers and allows remote offices, customers, and suppliers to share ideas in real time.
The communication experience can be enhanced by SIP in various ways.
- Robust communication. The underlying Internet Protocol in SIP offers a variety of communication opportunities. Voice, data, presence, video conferencing, instant and text messaging, multimedia, file sharing and transfers, and other applications can be mixed and matched to create a unified communications system to fit unique needs.
- Unified business in multiple locations. SIP has changed how people do business, spanning time zones and geographic locations. Remote workers and road warriors can have maximum access to corporate resources or other branches. Colleagues can share expertise across offices or even countries. Customers can reach staff even when they are on the other side of the globe.
- Support for mobile endpoints. Cellular calls outside the provider’s geographical coverage area is expensive. Roaming arrangements between networks can be forged to accommodate SIP-based devices. Roaming allows calls to be routed to third-party cellular networks over VoIP on a regional, national, or international level.
SIP trunking knows no boundaries. It is paving the way for the world to do business without geographical constraints as long as there is access to the Internet.